Stuck in the middle...no place I'd rather be!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

He came and went, but He will NEVER be forgotten!



People come and people go is an old adage that we hear for our entire lives. As we mature, we begin to realize how much truth is in that saying. When you are a member of a United Methodist Church, that adage is more than appropriate because every four or so years a preacher comes and a preacher goes. So, I am no stranger to having a pastor leave and to never see him or his family members again. Then again there are also preachers that depart that I see or stay in touch with through social media or homecoming visits. However, this past year we had a preacher to leave our congregation permanently because his physical body’s time on this earth was over. Death is such a difficult task for the living to overcome. Lately, I have really been thinking about our Pastor Pete because his spirit for seeking to show ALL people Christ was inspiring. He was definitely a believer in meeting people where they were. He wanted to assure people they didn't have to be something they were not in order to meet Jesus. I remember sitting with him talking about a new non-traditional church service he started. He said, “People who won’t come to the sanctuary for church will come to the fellowship hall, but there are also people that won’t come to the fellowship hall for church but will come to a store front in the middle of town.”



Pastor Pete had vision, but more important than his vision was his compassion. I believe that compassion most likely was the result of his spiritual understanding of GRACE. He preached the reality that there is absolutely NOTHING in this world we can do that can make us worthy of the gift God has given through His Son. NOTHING!!! Perfect Attendance does not guarantee salvation. Rule abiding does not guarantee salvation. Generosity does not guarantee salvation. Prudishness does not guarantee salvation. Just as none of these guarantee salvation, our salvation is not eliminated because of the music we listen to, the political party we vote for, the drinks or food we ingest. Salvation is salvation because of a divine SAVIOR!



I am so glad that at some point in my 35 almost 36 years I have come to the realization that I do not deserve of our Savior. I understand that God’s love doesn't rely on me. Even better than his love and forgiveness not being dependent on me is that fact that His judgment of me is free from the judgmental ways of the world. People are so cruel and unforgiving. I remember as a teen I believed the lies that churches and some Christians instill. Too often I heard that if people did this, that or that other (in the case of youth – drinking, drugging, and sexing) they weren't Christians. I bought into that lie for too many years. I believed that I was a better Christian because I didn't do those things. HaHaHa! I laugh out loud now at the absurdity of such a thought. Just because I didn't sin doing the big youth three, didn't mean I was without sin. Sin is sin is sin. I am consumed in sin…every day, every hour, every minute. The kicker is we are ALL consumed in sin to the same degree. The difference is some of us admit just how sinful we are and reconcile that God understands and loves us any way.



To all the people (particularly youth) that believe “I am not good enough.” Let me respond with this, “No you are not, but that is perfect because not good enough is exactly how God wants you. Not good enough is the perfect condition to use you in order for God to show His awesome and mighty power.”




Pastor Pete…Thank you for your service in ministry. Thank you for teaching God’s grace. Thank you for being an example of compassion, enthusiasm, and obedience. May your life be remembered through the actions of your parishioners.


No comments:

Post a Comment